Sunday, July 23, 2017

Growing Roses in June for December

England grows lovely roses
This week I have been planting, pruning, watering, getting prick by thorns and smelling beautiful Roses.
President Monson said, "As you serve, you will build rich, eternal memories.  In the words of the author James Barrie, 'God gave us memories, that we might have June roses in the December of our lives.'  I know of no field which produces more fragrant nor bounteous roses than the mission field to which you have been called."



Monday morning at 6:30 am we got a call from Nichol and Melissa that Jamie was headed to the ER in Rexburg.  They were playing badminton in the dark with neon birdies and Jamie tripped over Ashlee and came down on her knee.  They were afraid that she had torn her ligaments but thankfully she was just bruised and very swollen.  Scott and Eric took good care of her.  Now we have two hurt daughters.

 This past week we have had two extra full-time elders in the office so it has been a full time job keeping them busy.  We also have our service missionary and our full time office elder so I have had four helpers this week.  In my spare time and evenings I have been studying for the driving test - A lot of rules and new techniques I have not learned before.


We held our Addiction Recovery class on Wednesday evening.  I also prepared two luncheons for the missionaries coming into the office for a Trainers Meeting and a Self Reliance workshop they take 6 months before they depart.  President Leppard asked either Elder Veater or Elder Willmore to fly a missionary home to the United States.  Elder Veater went and had two 18 hour flights in three days.
Talk about jet lag - 7 hours time difference plus two flights in three days.

Nichol had surgery on her ankle today and we talked to her about midnight to see how she is doing.  She showed us her x-ray that shows  a big plate and 5 screws in her ankle.  After two weeks of waiting, she can now begin to heal.


Thursday morning we woke up at 5:30 and picked up Elder Veater and a missionary to take them to the Birmingham Airport.  Went in to work after and then in the afternoon I went to take the theory part of the driving test.  I PASSED.  It has been many years since I have had to study and take a TEST.   Now I have the practical part to take next Friday.  The examiners are very tough and not many people pass the first time.

 After my test, we headed to Birmingham to the hospital to visit Leslie Watson, a man in our ward who is going through chemo treatments.
It was fun to get a letter from Ryan from the MTC in Mexico.  He sounds great.


Sisters visiting Elder Willmore for his MONEY
Friday we had missionaries in the office for a Self Reliance class -
The Sister's love to come and visit Elder Willmore - even if it is for his MONEY

Friday night we went the the Tamworth ward game night but only about eight people came.  At least I got some driving practice in so I can prepare for my driving test.





Saturday we shopped for the departure dinner, which will be on Tuesday night.  We have 21 elders and sisters departing this month.  We are having a BBQ after our Testimony meeting.  Saturday night we went to dinner with Sister Veater and President and Sister Leppard to a Indian Restaurant.  A very fun evening.  President Leppard told me the quote from President Monson about growing June roses for December - I really like it.  Especially since my family theme is "Build Memories".

Elder and Sister Willmore and Veater
Elder Smith and Stephenson
Sunday we got up at 5:30 and left for the airport at 6:30a.m. to pick up Elder Veater - the flight was delayed about an hour so we were about a forty minutes late to Sacrament Meeting.  President and Sister Leppard were visiting the Tamworth ward and were the speakers.  I taught Relief Society today
and we had the AP's over for dinner.  We then went to the office for a few hours to check a missionary out and prepare his paperwork for his flight home tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment